COVID-19 EDMONTON REAL ESTATE SERVICES
Edmonton Realtors are taking every precaution to minimize the risk of exposure as we continue to assist buyers and sellers. Here are some protocals and important information from Real Estate Council of Alberta (RECA) that we have passed on to our clients to .help reduce the spread of illness.
We have noticed a slowdown in the market over the past month and a half, but we are still working with buyers and getting offers. It is our priority to get your home sold and although volume is down, sales are still happening.
Showing Tips For Sellers and Buyers
1. Sellers and buyers are requesting health and recent travel information from potential buyers and their professionals before any showing to give the seller an indication of any risk. Buyers and sellers are obligated to either be truthful or simply decline to answer. Seller that they have no duty to show the property if they are uncomfortable with any presented risk* (RECA).
2. If you have become ill or must self-quarantine please inform your agent as soon as possible. In this instance, the Realtors Association of Edmonton requires a temporary withdrawal of your listing from the MLS system. A typical withdrawal would last 10 days, but we are allowing a longer temporary period. During a temporary withdrawal, the total “Days On Market” does not increase. The number of “Days On Market” will begin again once the listing is active again on the market. If you require a temporary withdrawal, please let your agent know so they can put together the necessary documents. (RECA).
3. Set out obligations and procedures for viewings and home inspections in writing.
4. We create a marketing video showing a tour of the house to reduce the number of viewings.
5. We offering a virtual video tour so that you can consider only allowing viewings for serious buyers.
6. Making viewings conditional on buyer’s and their representatives wearing nitrile gloves, masks, or the use of anti-microbial, alcohol-based hand sterilizer, depending on the availability of these items. Remember the viewing terms may be subject to negotiation between the parties, and may be impacted by the availability of gloves, masks, etc.
7. Please leave all lights on, blinds and window coverings open, and interior doors left open before a showing.
8. Please do not be present for showings.
9. Remember to disinfect all door knobs, and switches after the showing.
10. If your home is being photographed for listing purposes, please note that photographers will not proceed if the home owner is present. They also will not switch on any lights, lamps or fireplaces, or pick up or move any miscellaneous items left out. Homes will be photographed as-is, so please take extra time to prepare. Our stagers can walk you through the items that need to be addressed.
11. Real estate professionals should not enter into new seller representation agreements that include hosting of open houses until the risk of COVID-19 spread is reduced and government lifts COVID-19 restrictions (virtual open houses are not impacted by this) (RECA).
12. We use electronic signatures for signing documents.
13. You can conduct financial transactions and real estate closings electronically.
14. If in person meetings are required, maintain a safe distance of at least six feet (two meters) at all times for viewings and inspections:
a. take steps to limit the surfaces people will need to touch
b. require all visitors to wear gloves and masks, if available.
Please reach out if you’d like more information on how COVID-19 is affecting the Edmonton Real Estate Market. And please, stay strong and safe.
Alison Murray, B.Comm
Remax Real Estate